Day 43: Psalms 89:14-Psalms 108:13 - 90 Day Challenge

"Your consolation brought joy to my soul"

On Anxiety...


I believe Psalms has a way of resonating with all of us. For me, every time I see a verse about taking refuge in the Lord, I highlight it. I meditate on it. It means a lot to me. In today's reading, we stumble across Psalms 94:18-19: 
"When anxiety was great within me, Your consolation brought me joy." 

The verse before that says, "When I said, 'my foot is slipping,' your love, O Lord, supported me." 

I think that those two verses together are wonderful. We always have five-hundred things to be anxious about. We live in a society where are minds are forced to go at a million miles a minute. But the Lord says, "Don't worry about that." 

It reminds me of another verse, Matthew 6:34--"Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own." 

The context of that verse is so similar to the context we've seen all throughout Psalms--trust in the Lord. Don't focus on earthly things. At the end of the day, as we've seen again and again in our readings, our earthly possessions don't matter at the end of the day. David was a shepherd kid. Job lost everything. Esther was an orphan. 

Everyone will face trials. It might seem unfair. It might seem that your burden is heavier than someone else's. It might be. But again and again, the Lord proves that He will never give you more than you are capable of handling. Trust in Him, and trust in His plan for you--cast away your anxieties and find joy in the Lord's love. 

Tomorrow's reading: Psalms 109:1-Psalms 134:3
Have a wonderful week!
Jill Jafarace
Director of Student Ministries
New Leaf UMC


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Genesis 1:1-Genesis 16:16 - 90 Day Bible Challenge

Day 35: Nehemiah 1:1-Nehemiah 13:14

Day 22: 1 Samuel 28:20-2 Samuel 12:10 -90 Day Challenge